From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 9:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Great Structural Note regarding Structural Steel Detailing

Arvel,

If you are using the UBC (CBC) and your connections resist seismic forces then YOU should be designing the connections; not your detailer.

UBC 1633.2.3 Connections - Connections that resist design seismic forces shall be designed and detailed on the drawings.

SEAOC (Blue Book) Commentary - "In some geographical regions, particularly those with low seismicity, a practice has evolved that leaves the design and detailing of connections to the fabricator or constructor (notwithstanding its criticism by the American Society of Civil Engineers).  This practice is absolutely prohibited by this provision....."

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Arvel L. Williams, P.E." <awilliams(--nospam--at)gwsquared.com>

03/14/2005 05:59 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Great Structural Note regarding Structural Steel Detailing

Mr. Polhemus,

Perhaps your state requires that the PE actually be in responsible charge of
the work?  Our actually requires a CA.  Isn't detailing where the
connections are calculated by the detailer engineering?

Or maybe someone just got tired of trying to communicate with the other side
of the world regarding changes to the details when reviewing shop drawings?

Arvel