-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 2:12 PM
To: seaint

Any comments on type of materials used for beach front residential
construction that are resistant to the climate?

On a current 2 story project our client (a very succesful commercial
contractor) wants to eliminate all wood by using cmu walls, metal stud
partitions, barjoist - metal pan - lt.wt. conc. floor, metal truss roof. As
we are getting into project, the entire structure will need a caisson
foundation system supporting structural slab and the materials described
above. We are now looking for alternative superstructure materials which
aren't so darn heavy due to the impact on foundation system.

We are now thinking of a structural steel vertical/lateral system with
infill for walls. The question is, metal studs, engineered lumber, or just
what for infill would be good to achieve owners desire of climate
durability.

If metal studs, every time you cut a stud or drill a screw you are
compromising the electroplating so..

If engineered lumber, just how well would Timberstrand studs stand up to a
beach climate compared to stick lumber..

At this point I'm fishing for ideas, past experiences, etc.

Thanks,

Mark D. Baker

Baker Engineering

it from your computer.