Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Stucco over cardboard siding

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Sounds like it might be Thermoply, which is a siding material (yes it looks similar cardboard) and has some structural values (ICC-ES Legacy report 2407).  It has some structural value, and I think it has been used on a lot of military housing in the south and southwest.  I still think that 3/8" plywood would be better, but I believe the Thermoply is cheaper.
Hope this helps.
Mike Cochran S.E.
In a message dated 3/14/2005 4:25:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, rshreenan(--nospam--at) writes:
Hi Folks:
Have any of you ever come across residential structures with  exterior wall material consisting of 1/8" stucco over what appears to be 1/8" layered paper product resembling card board?  The cardboard is only 1/8" thick and the walls are badly deteriorated from water intrusion.  I don't have a clue of what this stuff is nor how it was ever approved as an exterior wall covering.  The residence is a one story wood framed structure in Cathedral City and it is an insurance claim for water damage.
I think it was built in the early 70's.
I'll bet Dennis Wish knows something about this.
Thanks in advance for any info y'all might have on this
Ray Shreenan  SE