Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:53 AM
Subject: RE: Cylindrical Tank Liquids

Wood stave tanks are not worth much for seismic resistance. After Loma Prieta, I observed several that went over like a pile of jackstraws. The only shear resistance between the staves is friction, and typically the base connection is slim to none. The base shear equations in the AWWA standards should also be used with care, because a wood tank isn't exactly ductile. If you must use wood, then you will need a decent anchorage system, which is tough because you have all those steel hoops around the bottom, and you would have to line the inside with some sort of membrane to create the desired shear capacity in the wall. Good luck.