From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Beach front property

Nels,

I did talk to our local tji rep yesterday who suggested this product also.
Apparently trus joist now has the production capacity  for the "strandguard"
product which allowed them to formally announce it's availability in the
California market.

I've further researched the zinc-borate treatment which is an EPA-registered
biocide which appears to be quite benign with regard to human and
environmental safety.

Another plus is trus joists' product guarantee against wood destroying
insects and decay, you won't get that with metal studs.

On the topic of the structural steel vertical/lateral system.....If I were
to spec hot dipped galvanized members, would stainless bolts be appropriate
for bolted connections? I would think galvanizing members would lead me down
the path of bolted moment connections for frame elements due to toxicity of
welding galvanized material (burn off fumes). I wonder if there is some EPA
restriction on field welding galv. material in a residential neighborhood?

Finally, thanks to all for the responses.

Mark D. Baker
Baker Engineering