RE: Beach front property

Nels,

ASTM A325 high strength bolts can be hot dip galvanized in accordance with ASTM A153 but A490s can not (reference RCSC spec for ASTM A325 and A490 bolts).  Twist-off bolts per ASTM F1852 can be ordered with mechanical galvanizing per ASTM B695.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Nels Roselund" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net>

03/15/2005 11:37 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Beach front property

Mark,

Hot Dipped Galvanized A307 bolts are available and work fine.  If you need
slip critical connectors, I don't believe that the high strength bolts can
be galvanized since their strength is developed by a heat process.

Galvanized steel should not be welded without special precautions because of
toxic fumes.  The zinc can be power-brushed off and then the connection
coated with a zinc-rich paint.

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net