Re: Adding nail values to bolt values

Joe Grill wrote:

-->

Can bolt values in a timber connection be added to nail values in the same connection? I have a connection where existing nailing is not adequate per calculated allowable nail values. I can add bolts to the connection easier than nails due to the size of side members and a worry about splitting the main member from too many nails but only if the bolt and nail values are addative.

I think that, generically speaking, the NDS calculations address "dowel-type" connections. I don't think that the forces involved care if they're being handled by nails, bolts or a combination of both as long as limitations as to spacing, hole size, etc. are observed so that the connection functions as intended.

This is my WAG, here, but I do believe it's correct.

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company