RE: Adding nail values to bolt values

’97 NDS, Section 7.1.1.1 says, “Design values for mixed fastener connections shall be based on tests or other analysis (see 1.1.1.3)”

Section 1.1.1.3 says essentially the same thing.  “Other analysis” is not defined.  Kind of a non-definite answer.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Adding nail values to bolt values

Can bolt values in a timber connection be added to nail values in the same connection?  I have a connection where existing nailing is not adequate per calculated allowable nail values.  I can add bolts to the connection easier than nails due to the size of side members and a worry about splitting the main member from too many nails but only if the bolt and nail values are addative.

Thanks,

J. Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.