RE: Adding nail values to bolt values

Bill,

I tend to agree, but I'm not sure if the stiffness difference between the
bolts and nails will make a difference.  This is a retrofit of some old
site-built trusses.  The chords and webs calc. out just fine.  Some of the
panel point connections don't calc. out.  Yes, the old problem with another
twist.  These trusses (at least the ones that haven't been hacked up by
plumbers, electricians, or framers over several remodels in 30 years) have
worked just fine for over 30 years.  This time the client, that is going to
remind me of that, is my boss, a civil engineer who has purchased the
building for our new office.  The building has been gutted for a remodel.
He insists on not replacing the trusses.

I've calculated bolt values with plywood gussets and if things are additive,
then 4 bolts at the top chord and the bottom chord at the heel connection in
addition to the existing nails would be adequate.  If not additive then I
will need to use 4 bolts with steel side plates.  It will make the boss much
happier if he doesn't need the extra steel.

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.