Re: Adding nail values to bolt values

Joe Grill wrote:

These trusses (at least the ones that haven't been hacked up by
plumbers, electricians, or framers over several remodels in 30 years) have
worked just fine for over 30 years.

This has a lot to do with redundancies such as roof assembly, etc., that we normally don't include as part of the design analysis.

If you got a bunch of "bare truss" assemblies out on a test stand, though, I wager they'd average out pretty close to the values reflected in the Code as to strength.

This is the old problem esp. with wood structures that have complicated assemblies: How can you count on behavior when you don't really know the application in the end?

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company