From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Adding nail values to bolt values

Can bolt values in a timber connection be added to nail values in the same connection?  I have a connection where existing nailing is not adequate per calculated allowable nail values.  I can add bolts to the connection easier than nails due to the size of side members and a worry about splitting the main member from too many nails but only if the bolt and nail values are addative.

Thanks,

J. Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.