From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Adding nail values to bolt values

Garner, Robert wrote:

> -->
>
> '97 NDS, Section 7.1.1.1 says, "Design values for mixed fastener
> connections shall be based on tests or other analysis (see 1.1.1.3)"
>
> Section 1.1.1.3 says essentially the same thing. "Other analysis" is
> not defined. Kind of a non-definite answer.

I suppose "other analysis" leaves the door open for a bit of ingenuity,
such as FEM analysis--some of the FEA tools are pretty sophisticated and
could easily analysis something like this, even including non-linearity.

Since Joe lives in an area of the country where they actually have to
spend time and money to get stuff right, perhaps testing is the answer?
Sometimes you can work with local public institutions or other orgs like
AWC to defray the cost of testing. I'm not sure about the scope of this
job; if it's a large structure (or many repeat installations) this would
probably be worthwhile. Otherwise, maybe not.

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company