From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Adding nail values to bolt values

Joe Grill wrote:

>These trusses (at least the ones that haven't been hacked up by
>plumbers, electricians, or framers over several remodels in 30 years) have
>worked just fine for over 30 years.

This has a lot to do with redundancies such as roof assembly, etc., that
we normally don't include as part of the design analysis.

If you got a bunch of "bare truss" assemblies out on a test stand,
though, I wager they'd average out pretty close to the values reflected
in the Code as to strength.

This is the old problem esp. with wood structures that have complicated
assemblies: How can you count on behavior when you don't really know the
application in the end?

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company