Re: Wood post to sloped beam connection

I don't see an issue with notching the LVL hip as
along you check the shear and it is well within the
allowable shear stress for the LVL.  Assuming the LVL
is 14" deep, a notch for a 4x4 would leave about 12"
of solid LVL (perp. to top of LVL).  That should be
fine.  I'd provide a Simpson hip connector as well.
David Topete, SE
SF, CA