Re: Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile Load Transfer

Brian,

After the pile is driven and the top cut to the proper elevation It is common then to weld a cap plate, angle lugs, or stiffener plates in the webs to provide a bearing area to meet the concrete allowable stresses.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Brian S Bossley" <BSBossley(--nospam--at)venturaengineering.com>

03/16/2005 08:19 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile Load Transfer

Does anyone know how a large capacity (100 Ton) steel pile transfers the
load in bearing to a concrete pile cap?  I have an HP12x53 pile w/ an
area of 15.5 in^2 and I've got 12.9 ksi in the steel, but I know that
concrete can't take those kind of stresses.

Brian S. Bossley, PE
Ventura Engineering
7610 Olentangy River Rd.
Columbus, OH 43235