RE: Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile Load Transfer

Thanks again - between this and the Wheeling Joists, I figure we're up
to a case and a half.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile Load Transfer

Re: The Steel Pile Cap Connection, AISI, August 1982.

Confined concrete is different than unconfined.

Conclusions from the reference above:
Steel cap plates are not required for steel H piles in compression with
proper embedment and edge distance and is the most economical solution
Embedment 6 inches min Edge dist 12 to 21 inches depending on pile
capacity Ult bearing stress is 8 * f'c Ult bearing stress is 10 * f'c
with some supplementary reinforcement in the cap

Some piles tested to an ult bearing stress of 41 ksi for f'c = 3.68 ksi
concrete.

That will cost you 2 beers and a shot.

Regards,
Harold Sprague