Re: good engineering dictionary and p.e. advice

Jen,

Dictionaries:

A Visual Dictionary of Architecture by Francis Ching;
Construction Dictionary (Phoenix, AZ, Library of Congress #81-83651);
Dictionary of Building Trades by Leonard P. Toenjes.

Bridge Design:
Bridge Engineering by D.T. Tonias.

Structural (for PE):

246 Solved Structural Engineering Problems by C.D. Buckner.
CE Manual by Michael Lindenburg.

For structural exam, SE Review Manual by Ben Yousefi helped me the most.

HTH,

V. Steve Gordin, PhD
Registered Structural Engineer
Irvine CA