Re: Adding nail values to bolt values--OT re codes

Joe, your comments reminded me of when I was living at Cordes Junction (in the era of the Copper Star, not Macdonalds).

On the way to the "city" of Mayer to do my laundry I stopped in at a new antique shop alongside Big Bug Creek, built to look like an old barn.  It had 2x4 "beams" supporting 2x4 rafters and similar barn-like framing.  And I'd heard that the area once got 3' of snow!  And the bathroom light switch was behind the door, right up by the top hinge--hard to find in the dark.

It was then that the real need for codes hit me, as I fumbled in the dark in a building that would probably have collapsed if it ever received its "design" loads.

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz
Structural Engineer

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com