Re: BLOGGING

There's "situations" and then there's "situations."  One may be below code (aren't most buildings of  any age at all in some way below code?) and another may be ready to collapse on the occupants--an "imminent danger."  I believe we have an obligation, legal and moral, to do something about the latter, but we see the former almost every minute of every day (I live in one!) and can hardly be expected to constantly "save the world."

It's a matter of degree.

I once noticed two-story-tall brick walls standing unbraced along a city sidewalk (after a long-ago fire had gutted the building) and raised the issue.  I was told it was "old business" and "had been taken care of."  It remained that way for years before being demolished.

I was also involved in a situation MANY years ago where my firm recommended city-required earthquake improvements to a 6-story masonry building.  The owner said if we pushed it they'd close the company, fire the hundreds of employees, and leave town.  Needless to say the building was not strengthened.

Ralph