RE: Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile Load Transfer

Steel studs were used to connect high capacity bored-in piles to the pile
cap in a recent bridge project I worked on. The bored-in piles were made
from 12" diameter tube, and developed an ultimate load of 500kip each.

Michael Ludvik

             "Brian S Bossley"
             <BSBossley@ventur
             aengineering.com>                                          To
                                       <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
             03/16/2005 11:54                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Concrete Pile Cap to Steel Pile
             Please respond to         Load Transfer
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

Has anyone ever used studs welded to the flanges and webs?  If I can,
I'd like to get away from trying to cut all my piles level and then
underhand welding a cap plate.  Can you count on the bond strength
between the steel and the concrete pile cap?