From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: I Got Th' "Eagle Done Flew" Blues!

Arvel L. Williams, P.E. wrote:

>Paul,
>
>Amen and pass the gunpowder.
>
>Arvel

See, this is an extension of what I was complaining about to begin with.

Can you imagine this guy sending back a partial payment to his attorney,
and complaining "your fees are just outrageous, I'm not paying a penny
more!"

It just will never happen.

Until we as S.E.s stand together in the SAME WAY that other professions
do, and insist on fair value for our work we're going nowhere.

Reminds me of the anecdote about the man who went to the dentist for
some work. Before he went in to see the Doctor, the accounts manager
went over the cost of what they were going to do. He was shocked, and
wandered into the examining room in a daze.

When the Dentist came in, the man had been brooding about the bill for
some time. As the Dentist prepared to go to work, the man took the
opportunity to rail about how ridiculous the cost of the procedure was.
"Good grief, you're only going to be installing a single cotton-pickin'
crown! It's not like major surgery or anything! How much can that stuff
cost? How much time could it possibly take? This is just outrageous!
I'll bet you have a huge home, drive an expensive car and belong to the
country club!" On and on he went.

The Dentist said nothing for awhile, then excused himself. He was gone a
few moments, then returned with a shoe box. Inside were some dental
appliance materials and various dental instruments.

"I'm sorry, sir," the Dentist said, handing the man the box. "I didn't
realize you wanted the do-it-yourself kit! That's only $49.99. Pay at
the front, and good luck with your procedure!"

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company