RE: I Got Th' "Eagle Done Flew" Blues!

Let me start off by saying that I would like to completely agree with Bill
on this point.  However, it is difficult for an engineer to see things the
way the general public does. Bill's story doesn't really fit with our
business model unfortunately.

Fact is, most people don't know really know what a structural engineer
does...but they do know what a doctor, lawyer, architect, auto mechanic
does.  That's hit #1 against us.

Secondly, the average building owner out there would probably gladly buy a
cheaper "do it yourself" engineering kit if given the choice.  But in most
cases they are required by LAW to hire an engineer to do work on a project.
The difference is that YOU CHOOSE to have your teeth checked by your
dentist.

What I'm trying to say is that most building owners would probably prefer to
just hire a contractor and get the job built (i.e. what the %*#@ does the SE
add to the job except more costs). When someone else like a building
official tells them they must have an engineer, they get all teary eyed.

That's just the way it is.  Until the day that building owners become
convinced that engineers are adding value to their projects and would choose
to willingly seek out a good engineer the same way they would want the best
doctor/lawyer/architect/mechanic working for them...our fees will always be
questionable in the general publics eyes.

Education + Marketing = Higher Fees

St Patty's Day + Guinness = Wobbly Knees

~~ Eli Grassley

Bill Polhemus wrote:

See, this is an extension of what I was complaining about to begin with.

Can you imagine this guy sending back a partial payment to his attorney,
and complaining "your fees are just outrageous, I'm not paying a penny
more!"

It just will never happen.

Until we as S.E.s stand together in the SAME WAY that other professions
do, and insist on fair value for our work we're going nowhere.

Reminds me of the anecdote about the man who went to the dentist for
some work. Before he went in to see the Doctor, the accounts manager
went over the cost of what they were going to do. He was shocked, and
wandered into the examining room in a daze.

When the Dentist came in, the man had been brooding about the bill for
some time. As the Dentist prepared to go to work, the man took the
opportunity to rail about how ridiculous the cost of the procedure was.
"Good grief, you're only going to be installing a single cotton-pickin'
crown! It's not like major surgery or anything! How much can that stuff
cost? How much time could it possibly take? This is just outrageous!
I'll bet you have a huge home, drive an expensive car and belong to the
country club!" On and on he went.

The Dentist said nothing for awhile, then excused himself. He was gone a
few moments, then returned with a shoe box. Inside were some dental
appliance materials and various dental instruments.

"I'm sorry, sir," the Dentist said, handing the man the box. "I didn't
realize you wanted the do-it-yourself kit! That's only $49.99. Pay at
the front, and good luck with your procedure!"

--
Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company