RE: STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION BOARD: What's The Deal?

From what I understand, the SECB was created by NCSEA… there is information and links on the NCSEA website regarding it.

Seems like a move in the right direction to me, but I don’t want to fork over $350… especially since I already have my SE registration, so I haven’t really tried to understand the SECB.  As I understand, for engineers licensed in states without SE licensure or who haven’t taken the SE 1 / 2 exams, this is a way to show clients you are qualified to practice structural engineering and not some other engineer who has little structural experience, but is legally allowed to design structures.  In Missouri, you are licensed as an engineer… of course you are required to practice in your area of competence.

National licensure is a long way off (if ever) but, as I understand, this is a national certification separate from state governments and will show that engineers anywhere in the nation have met requirements set by a national group of structural engineers, without state / local / national government rules, etc.  I believe they are going to recommend education and experience requirements in an effort to continually improve the structural engineering profession.

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE, SE

Structural Engineer & Vice President

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

319 North Main, Suite 200