From: John Riley [mailto:jriley(--nospam--at)cbbel.com]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 10:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: engineering fees ( was OFF-TOPIC...)

I still use it.
----------------
There used to be an ASCE manual with suggested fee curves but they quit
publishing it under threat of an antitrust lawsuit, wrongly I think. I
suspect any attempt to publish a "flat rate manual" for structural
engineering would run into similar problems, although it doesn't seem to
stop plumbers and auto mechanics from using this method of calculating fees.
----------------
Earlier in this thread some mention of doctors and lawyers standard fees was
made.  When I go to the doctor, I see that he has a form with lists of
standardized procedures and treatments for the purpose of billing the health
insurance provider.  My health insurance carrier monitors these billed costs
and will cover only up to what they consider 'fair and reasonable' (I
believe their term is Usual and Customary charges).

Question: Has there been any attempt to develop a similar framework for
Common structural engineering design procedures?

Best regards,

Thomas Honles, SE, PE
Los Angeles, CA