From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 10:57 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: Really Questioning 9-11 [Book]]

Facts are more often impressions than real facts.  I still recall the
conspiricy advocates on the Murah Building not understanding how the Murah
Building could have collapsed with reported pressures of 5,000 psi when a
lot of the concrete tested at 6,000 psi.  We structural engineers laugh, but
this is the fuel of conspiricy "experts".

The spray on fire proofing material was very light weight and had only
enough adhesion to hold itself in place on the steel.  The towers were
undergoing rehabilitation including replacement of the fire proofing.  The
replacement fireproofing was similar to the original.  The over pressures
generated by the deflagration of the airplane fuel and the impact on the
airplane components removed significant amounts of fireproofing material.
Thus you had virtually unprotected steel truss bottom chords (tension
elements) and unprotected column steel that had been damaged structurally
exposed to high temperatures.  The fuel initiated a lot of fires to the
furnishings.  The fuel load was pretty much burned off within 10 minutes of
impact.  But the fuel ignited furnishings which kept burning.  The heated
air generated was sufficient to weaken the structure to the point of
colapse.

I have investigated many structural collapses.  Consider a
telecommunications tower supported by guy cables in 3 eaually spaced groups
in plan.  Cut the cables on one side of the guyed tower.  At first glance,
you would expect it to fall toward the other cables like a tree.  But in
reality it tilts over and then buckles and spirals in to the ground.

When you run a nonlinear dynamic analysis, you can observe what happens at
timed increments.  When it comes to doing these types of analyses, we are
only limited by what we do not know like nonlinear dynamic material
behavior, strain rate effects, thermal degradation, etc.

Regards,
Harold Sprague