Re: STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION BOARD: What's The Deal?

Neil Moore wrote:
Dennis:

I think that this organization is was only addressed to licensed structural engineers, at least here in California.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california

Neil,
What purpose does this organization serve? My concern is something that Bill Warren, SE once wrote while working with Ron Hamburger on an NCSEA Committee that there was an intent for SE's to regulate what an SE-I or CE from practicing. While I realize that Certification of SE's or an organization that only serves this portion of the community will impose or try to impose certain controls over the industry - infringing on the rights of non-SE's (at least in title states) to practice.
When I hear this, it makes me nervous while NO! I don't intend to take the SE after nearly 30 years in the profession and nearly 20 years in private practice. I've not overstepped my bounds and have every right to continue to practice those areas of engineering that I am qualified to perform.
So, the bottom line is - what purpose does this group serve?

Thanks Neil,
Dennis

--

Dennis S. Wish, PE