Re: IBC 2000

Michael,

To further elaborate on James Lutz's response, the IBC uses ground
acceleration maps.  The values from those maps along with the importance
of the building and the soil conditions of the site lead to a Seismic
Design Category (SDC).  The SDC is used much like zones in the UBC in that
it dictates detailing requirements for your seismic resistance system.
For the actual determination of the seismic force (from the equivalent
lateral force method), then it is the value from the maps much like the
zone in the UBC leads to a "zone" value for the equivalent lateral force
equations.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI