Re: STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION BOARD: What's The Deal?

Dennis and Bill:

Bill, I stand corrected, but I'm not at my main office and couldn't remember the total intent.

But,  I have submitted an application for this endeavor and feel that it is a good effort to establish some sort of national identity.  Further, I pretty much have a lot of confidence in Ron Hamburger and Stan Caldwell.

In my practice, I do work on a small national scale and some projects overseas. A possible national certification may be of some value to me in the future when I'm dealing with some jurisdictions or clients.  We already see requirements for licensed structural engineers for certain projects that have nothing to do with the particular jurisdiction, such as seismic certification for equipment for utility districts.

I also encourage the list to read the "Structure" magazine.  The last issue address timber design and was excellent, addressing a number of issues that are discussed on this list.

Dennis, I'm sorry that you will never take the S.E. exam.   I believe that it does provide a measure of one's competence.   I second Stan Caldwell's  suggestion about knowledge.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california