Re: STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION BOARD: What's The Deal?

Neil,

I would second your recommendation (especially as someone who works in the
timber frame/SIP world).  I have not read the timber frame article yet
(just retreive the magazine from the mailbox about 5 minutes ago), but did
read through the SIP article quickly (since it was rather short).  If
nothing else, the articles will give some good starting points for those
interested in timber framing and/or SIPs.

I did want to offer one clarification on one statement made in the SIP
article ("SIP's have been approved for all seismic zones").  This is kind
of true.  To clarify, it is possible to have SIPs tested and "approved" by
the ICC evaluation service for use in any seismic area.  New acceptance
criteria for the ICC-ES was adpoted last Spring that now includes testing
that can result in SIPs receiving an ICC evaluation report for use in all
seismic areas.  Prior to that change, ICC-ES (and the legacy reports from
ICBO, BOCA, SBBCI) would not "approve" SIPs in an evaluation report for
use in seismic area with a SDC (IBC speak) of D, E or F.  It should be
noted that SIPs could be used in such areas regardless, but it required
working with the local building official to get them accepted by
"alternative material" sections of the code.

So, along that line, most major SIP manufacturers are in the process of
doing the tests for seismic use and should have update ICC-ES reports that
include such permitted use in the near future is not already (I believe
one manufacturer already has such an updated ICC-ES report or is darn
close to having it).

Regardless, I am more than glad to assist those who might have questions
about timber framing and/or SIPs.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI