Re: STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION BOARD: What's The Deal?

Responding to Stan Caldwell's comment aimed at me, Bill Polhemus did visit the site and found out the following;

Bill Polhemus wrote:

Stan, I had already visited the site prior to "stirring up the hornet's nest" in here. With all due respect, it really doesn't tell you much that you wouldn't expect self-promotion to tell you. That's not meant as a slap, it's just that you're not going to go to that site and read the "pros and cons." It's just not reasonable.

But here's some of what the site DOES say:

"The following items have been identified as direct benefits of national certification for structural engineers:

- Better protects public health, safety and welfare
- Implements appropriate qualifications and standards of practice through self-regulation, in lieu of minimum standards of practice that may exist under current licensing process
- Encourages meaningful and beneficial professional development programs
•- Establishes educational criteria
- Provides a uniform mechanism, for possible future acceptance by governing entities, for granting the right to practice within various jurisdictions
•- Establishes and increases the value of the title, “Structural Engineer”
•- Enhances public recognition of the SE profession and gives those needing the profession’s services a means and method for selecting a structural engineer that has met a nationally accepted standard of competency
•- Increases self-esteem"
  ---------------------------------------------- section removed ------------------------------------------------------
NOW BRACE YOURSELF:

NCEES already has a process IN PLACE AS WE SPEAK that purports to do all that the SECB purports to do. It's called the Model Law Structural Engineer (MLSE) designation (yeah, sounds like some kind of IT certificate). Information is found at http://www.ncees.org/records/mlse/

Here's what the MLSE designation requires:

   * Graduated from an engineering program accredited by EAC/ABET.
   * Passed a minimum of 18 semester (27 quarter) hours of structural
     analysis and design courses. At least 9 semester (14 quarter)
     hours must be structural design courses.
   * Passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
   * Passed 16 hours of one of the following:
         o NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) structural
           examinations, including the 8-hour Structural II examination
         o NCEES PE Structural Engineering II examination plus 8 hours
           of state-specific examinations
         o State-specific structural examinations taken prior to 2004
   * Completed 4 years of acceptable structural engineering experience
     after confirmation of a bachelor's degree. A maximum of 1 year of
     credit may be given for graduate engineering degrees that include
     at least 6 semester (9 quarter) hours of structural engineering
     (in addition to the 18 hours noted above).
   * Has no disciplinary action on record.

(Note that, according to this, all I would need to do is pass the SE II exam, and I would meet the qualifications).

Gosh Stan - seems my speculations have turned into facts. Let me reiterate what Bill found on the site - just in case you missed it;
  • Establishes educational criteria
  • Provides a uniform mechanism, for possible future acceptance by governing entities, for granting the right to practice within various jurisdictions
  • Enhances public recognition of the SE profession and gives those needing the profession’s services a means and method for selecting a structural engineer that has met a nationally accepted standard of competency
Sounds like a "Good-Ole-Boy's" club to me considering that, as I pointed out, them who hold all the cards call all the shots. This has a tendency to discredit those of us more than qualified but who choose not to belong.

What bothers me, Stan, is that if you gave me the web link, you must have looked at the site and have known what was on it. Were you calling my bluff or did you simply not read the information posted? Also, you were familiar with the changes proposed by John Shipp, Bill Warren and Ron Hamburger over four years ago. Why try and discredit me with being speculative when you knew that this was their intentions as they included all NCSEA members in their reports and proposals. This is just one step closer to making it a reality by sneaking in the back door. As too SEAOC's financial problems I mentioned - this was fact obtained from a reliable source within SEAOC - not speculation. It looks like this is not speculation either.

Stan, attach a sand bag to yourself and keep your feet on the ground.

Respectfully (or not ;-) )
Dennis
--

Dennis S. Wish, PE