RE: brick monuments

Would there be any problem with using a hollow sonotube core?  I could reinforce the portion of concrete between the brick and sonotube (vertical bars at interior corners?) creating a boxbeam, and include brick ties extending into this grouted area.  This would reduce the amount of concrete fill by over 50% and no forming would be required.  Does anyone see any problems with this configuration?  Thanks.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering
Davis, CA

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Build a 16" square CMU pedistal with cavity wall ladder reinforcement in the
bed joints. Check out Hohman and Bernard's web site
http://www.h-b.com/home/index.html. It is the same as the reinforcement you
would use for a standard cavity wall with 2" rigid insulation and 2" air gap
except you don't need the insulation. Do not forget the drainage and the
weeps. I prefer Mortar Net drainage and head joint weeps.
http://www.mortarnet.com/

I do not liike to mix trades if possible. Everything should be installed by
the masonry trade above the foundation. Carpenter trade installs stud
walls.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp