RE: Pe test advice

Jen-
I apologize if that comment came off condescending...
I didn't intend for that.  :-)  I think the comments
Refugio had are very valid.  Get lots of rest, have 2
calculators handy, study water related questions, and
do lots and lots o' practice problems with the
solutions handy.  Lessons learned from taking the
nat'l PE exam for CA a few times a few years back.
(finally passed it in '98...)
Figure out how many minutes per point, and do the
problems that come to you.  Go back to the others if
time permits.  If your expertise is structural, then I
would highly suggest to study up on weirs, pressure
heads, Venturi meters, etc. becuase I remember the
nat'l exam having about 50% relating to that, maybe
25% structural, and the remaining questions were
construction/surveying.  If I hadn't studied the water
resources, I don't think I'd have passed that dreaded
part of the PE.
Good luck with the studying.  You still have a month
to figure out that you'll do about as good as you can
do.  (And, you'll likely end up passing...  :-D  Kinda
like me passing the CA SE in October.  1st try!  Lucky
me...)
David Topete, SE
SF, CA

--- Jen Wadsworth <JWadsworth(--nospam--at)TricoEngineering.com>

http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe_design_standards/structural_desig
> [...]
> David Topete, SE
> SF, CA
>

> --- refugio rochin <fugeeo(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Jen,
> > Are you in Florida or south?
> > Look at your registration website.  They ought to
> > have a listing of
> > books required, and to which the pe is based.  The
> > state you are in
> > may have a slightly different requirement.  So
> best
> > to find out
> > directly from your source.  If it is the national
> > site, then I think
> > only IBC is used, which references ASCE, ACI ...
> > Best to find the
> > distributed list.
> >
> > Tabulating tables,  maybe I just mean, marking up
> > your books, or
> > putting tabs, or something, so you know exactly
> > where to go.
> > Important so you don't spend precious time looking
> > for simple things.
> >
> > Test taking general practice with this format is
> > do the problems
> > that come to you right away first, skipping ones
> > that don't click
> > right away.  Then coming back later, to the more
> > difficult ones.
> >
> > I found an interesting way to look at the problems
> > when I was
> > studying.  It noted, that in order to get 70%,
> > figure what you really
> > need to hit min seventy.  Find the ones that you
> > jive with best, and
> > knock those out.  And really focus on hitting that
> > 70.   Once your
> > there, you'll breeze with all the other problems.
> > Stress becomes
> > less...
> >
> > Another thing I think is good, is to know some of
> > the rules of thumb
> > that all engineers of different disciplines use.
> > The Lindeburg
> > addresses some, but really not all.  So perhaps if
> > inquired here, and
> > other civil disciplines, you will get some more
> > knowledge of the
> > basics.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Lata
> > Refugio
> >

> > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:02:44 -0500, Jen Wadsworth
> > <JWadsworth(--nospam--at)tricoengineering.com> wrote:
> > > Refugio- Thanks for your comments and
> suggestions.
> > I'm using Lindeburg to
> > > study, along with several other practice problem
> > books. So you are saying
> > > that you didn't bring in all the recommended
> books
> > and you needed them? I've
> > > done my best to gather all of the ones on the
> > list. The only building code I
> > > have is IBC2000. Supposedly, that is the code
> for
> > the exam now, but I was
> > > worried that I would need UBC, SBC or others. Is
> > that the case? You said
> > > something about tabulating important tables-

=== message truncated ===