settlement of foundation

Hi everyone
I have a job where the owner would like to build
a new house on existing footing which is very common
in CA (southern)
when I got the soil report I find out the the footing is settled about  1" to 1 1/2" in 20' long which is according
to code min.
also the footing is 18" deep in medium expansive soil
which it should be 24" deep
any advise or recommendation
I already advised the owner to have a new footing
the soil engineer telling me " you do not have to have new footing"
thanks for your comment in advance