RE: Retrofit Masonry walls

Bob,

To answer a couple of you questions, which may help others help me.

Existing footing reinforcing hasn’t been determined, although probably minimal as the foundation actually rests on a very good rock strata.  Basement slabs are in great condition.

Also, the exterior soil has been excavated away from the basement walls.  Landscaping retaining walls are going to be constructed so the basement will no longer retain any soil, and solid grouting should not be required.  During the “gutting” process past water infiltration was noted, but should no longer be a problem.  There may be some joint reinforcing present, but probably not in any quantity, if any.  At this point I wouldn’t be “skeered” of saw cutting some face shells at 4’ or maybe 6’ spacing, as the walls are pretty lightly loaded now, and much, much more lightly loaded laterally than they were a couple of weeks ago.

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying

1146 W. Hwy 89A Suite B