RE: brick monuments

Yes, they are not as common, but they are not particularly hard to get, either, at least not in my experience.  There would likely be a noticable premium over brick, but if paying that premium gets you out of building a concrete column to support it and rids of you the durability concerns of wood or metal stud framing, that could be a cost-savings overall.  Of course, if the monuments are 200 miles from the nearest highway and the contractor already has a few surplus shipments of bricks left over from another project at the same site, then brick might be unbeatable.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> 03/24/05 10:56AM >>>
Very true...there are clay masonry hollow units (brick actually kind of
implies a solid unit [to me at least], which is considered more than 75%
solid).  These would be somewhat like CMU units except that the material would be clay
masonry (what people commonly refer to as brick)...and the sizes/dimension
could be different.  There are not nearly as common as your standard solid
(cored or froggerd or actually 100% solid) clay masonry (aka brick) unit.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI