RE: App weight of steel tank

Nat,

You tank should be about a 1/2" to 3/4" plate or so.

So, if you a cylinder 90 feet tall thats 1080 inches.  Then your plate is
3392 inches long (Pi x D) that make the plate 1080 x 3392 x 0.5 so that's
1831680 cubic inches.  Plain jane Carbon steel weighs about 0.284 lb/cubic
inch.  So the walls will be on the order of 520,197 lbs.

Now the water will weigh about 62.4 lbs / cubic foot.  Tank volume is PI X
D^2/4 x H so that 572265 cubic feet.  That make the weight of water about
35.7 million lbs.  So the tank wall are 1.5% of the total tank dead weight.

Now for my short hand version of calculating the bearing stress for dead
load on this type of tank.

Take the weight of water x the height of the water column.  That is
equivalent to the volume divided by the area of bearing .

You get 62.4 x 90 = 5616 psf.  So round that to say 5700 psf.

Now you need to look at over turning etc.  But in the full condition, the
tank dead load is likely to control.  Empty, probably wind.

Arvel