Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 3:22 PM
Subject: Glu Lam Beams Exposed to the Weather

I?ve got a project consisting of three masonry buildings with a wood roof. A couple of weeks ago, I was at the site performing a structural observation. It was the last grout pour of the project. While there, I observed that, for some reason, the Glu-Lam beams had already been delivered. Some of them were unwrapped and, for those who have been keeping up with the weather, we?ve had quite a bit of rain here in SoCal. Here?s a picture of what I saw: http://www.allendesigns.com/projects/20402/pics/2005-03-11/P1010013.JPG. I can?t tell you how long the material has been on the job site, since the project superintendent is essentially non-existent (another story for another time). I know that these beams were not specified for outside exposure. I am worried that either the beams have become distressed or, at minimum, should be inspected. Maybe some of you wood gurus can tell me that ?it?s no big deal?, but I would prefer a reference to someone or some firm who can perform an inspection. The project is located in Ontario, California.

Thanks in advance,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588