From: lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net [mailto:lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 7:27 AM
To: SEAOC
Subject: Rolling Shear on Wood Nailer

Does anyone know if there is a value for "rolling shear" in wood, (or I
guess you could call it "shear perpindicular to the grain")? I have a job
which is under construction and uses long span premanufactured wood roof
trusses sitting on a 4x nailer atop a wide flange beam, (perpindicular to
the trusses). My detail shows the truss bearing clips sitting on the top of
the nailer with the nailer edge flush with the flange of the beam, (typical
detail). However, in construction they somehow didn't get the wide flange
beam exactly straight, so that they want to "hang" the 4x nailer over the
edge of the beam flange about 1" to pick up the truss reaction.

I am reluctant to do this since I can find no value in the NDS for this type
of shear and have always been under the impression it is not good to do
this.

Anyone know of a value for "rolling shear", or any other advice like "make
them do it right"?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer SE