RE: allowable stresses for wood floor joists - Phila. PA

Ken:

It was not uncommon for the “old wood” of 75 to 100 years ago to have an

Allowable bending stress in excess of 1500 psi, regardless of species.

The younger “harvested” lumber of today simply does not get a chance to age enough

To develop the strengths the old growth timber did throughout the section…

Hence, the propensity of laminated and engineered wood products these days…

We’ve done a considerable amount of work with old structures (loft conversions of

Old mill buildings, etc…) to the point where the City of Chicago has made us in

certain instances, retain a testing entity to visually grade and then tensile test the specimens.

The tests typically returned values of 1500 psi or more.

David L. Fisher SE PE

Fisher + partners

372 West Ontario

Chicago 60610