Re: moment due to differential settlement

Am I being too harsh to say that building a new 2-story house in southern California on an existing cracked and sagging, and underreinforced, foundation is like painting over dirt?  Will the building department accept the existing foundation, since it is unlikely to meet current code.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA