From: Rich Lewis
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 8:01 PM
Subject: Shear reiforcing in Mat foundation

What is the configuration of shear reinforcing in a mat foundation?  Is it usually better to make the mat deep enough for no shear reinforcing rather than provide the extra bars?

I have some heavily loaded piers sitting on a mat and I was wondering f it would be better to reinforce in the vicinity of the piers rather than making the mat thicker.

Thanks.

Rich Lewis