From: Paul Crocker [mailto:pcrocker(--nospam--at)reidmidd.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Shear reiforcing in Mat foundation

I have typically seen ties configured like a cross tie used; a 90 at the
bottom and a 135 at the top.  They can be added fairly easily at the same
grid spacing that your mat rebar forms, assuming that provides enough.  You
can also thicken a mat, either the whole things or locally, but it depends
on a lot of factors which is better.  Thickening brings with it extra
concrete cost and extra excavation.  Local thickening can complicate bar
detailing and placement because you have multiple planes of reinforcement
that need to be addressed and lapped to each other.  I generally aim for a
depth that works for most of the mat, then add shear reinforcement in local
areas as required, but again, there area a lot of ways to approach it.  Good
luck finding the best solution for your case.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE

>>> "Rich Lewis" <sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> 03/28/05 08:01PM >>>
What is the configuration of shear reinforcing in a mat foundation?  Is it
usually better to make the mat deep enough for no shear reinforcing rather
than provide the extra bars?

I have some heavily loaded piers sitting on a mat and I was wondering f it
would be better to reinforce in the vicinity of the piers rather than making
the mat thicker.

Thanks.

Rich Lewis

This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named addressee(s) and
delete the transmitted material from your computer and server.  In no event
shall this material be read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than
the named addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
the named addressee(s).