RE: Clothing rack

I think it's time for clothing arguments.
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Pemberton [mailto:markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Clothing rack

What portion of this weight should be used as seismic dead load?  Won't the clothes swing around and absorbing energy like a damper?  Or perhaps they hit a resonance frequency and take out the whole building?

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering
Davis, CA

Charley Hamilton <chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu> wrote:
Mark -

Is it guaranteed to stay a clothing rack, or might it end up
like the closets in my back room: hanging climbing rope,
lifting/tow chains, tool belts, etc?

If it's just dry clothes, figure the weight of cotton canvas is
about 14 oz/sq yd. A pair of denim jeans is probably around
8-10 oz/sq yd and occupies maybe an inch of rod length. For a fat
guy like me, that makes a pair of jeans about 1.5-2.5 lbf if it's
dry. If it's wet, then the numbers probably go up to something
like 4-5 lbf/inch.

Just a hunch, no prior knowledge or references.

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT PGR and Lecturer
Department of Civil and Phone: 949.824.3752

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org