wood defects - how much is too much

can anyone give me a reference standard for wood defects? I would like to know what the tolerances are for excessing checking, warping and cracking of structural timber. I am having challenges rejecting defective timber on a project. The timber meets our grade requirements, it's just that it is excessively checking and knotty and is unacceptable to us.