From: Candi Anderson [mailto:canderson(--nospam--at)mercadoeng.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Timber connections

Is there a rule of thumb on depth of penetration for fastening decking to
stringers?  I’m using 3x8 planking supported on 4x12’s.  Do I just need to
check the withdrawal value?
And, what if a member is only in compression?  How does one go about
determining the amt of penetration necessary to secure the connection?

Thanks for any assistance.