From: engineer101(--nospam--at)att.net [mailto:engineer101(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: wood defects - how much is too much

can anyone give me a reference standard for wood defects? I would like to know what the tolerances are for excessing checking, warping and cracking of structural timber. I am having challenges rejecting defective timber on a project. The timber meets our grade requirements, it's just that it is excessively checking and knotty and is unacceptable to us.