RE: wood defects - how much is too much

Read the grading rules for the species that you are assessing. A certain amount of wane and checking is acceptable depending on the location. Don't get yourself into an issue of rejecting something that meets the grading rules. You could wind up owning some lumber.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: engineer101(--nospam--at)att.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: wood defects - how much is too much
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:59:48 +0000

can anyone give me a reference standard for wood defects? I would like to know what the tolerances are for excessing checking, warping and cracking of structural timber. I am having challenges rejecting defective timber on a project. The timber meets our grade requirements, it's just that it is excessively checking and knotty and is unacceptable to us.