Re: Masonry Book

David,

If want a true "textbook" like book (over all good reference book that
deals with basic theory, etc), then either "Masonry Structures: Behavior
and Design" by Drysdale, Hamid and Baker or "Reinforced Masonry
Engineering Handbook" by Amrhein.  The Drysdale text is now in it second
edition but it is my understanding that they are in the process of
updating it (i.e. working on 3rd edition), which I believe will be
available later this summer.  The current edition (2nd edition) is based
upon the 1997 UBC (for strength design) and the 1999 MSJC (masonry code).
They are in the process of updating it to at least the 2002 MSJC, I
believe.  That text is available through the Masonry Society
(aka TMS...www.masonrysociety.org) for $94.50 for non-members (don't
recall the discount for members at the moment...but believe it is 20%).

If you want a more "practical" type publication, then the Masonry
Designer' Guide would be a good choice.  It is a document that gives a
practical application guide to the MSJC (masonry code).  The current
edition (4th edition) is based upon the 2002 MSJC.  The 3rd edition is
based upon the 1999 MSJC.  They are in the process of finishing up the 5th
edition, which will be based upon the 2005 MSJC (which was just
published).  So, this will kind of depend on how you want to use it or
which code you are using, since the MDG is "tied" to a particular version
of the code.  This is not to say that a particular MDG is still not useful
with other code editions, but the references to particular code sections
will be somewhat useless with other codes.  MDGs are available through TMS
as well (you can still get both the 3rd and 4th editions...and maybe even
the 2nd or 1st).

Another option is to purchase Rich Klingner's class notes.  These are his
class notes (which he basically uses as his textbook) for the masonry
course that he teaches at the University of Texas at Austin.  They are
very detailed notes.  As a side note, he is the chair of the MSJC
committee (i.e. the committee that produces the masonry code).

FWIW, I use the Drysdale text as the textbook for the masonry class that I
teach at the University of Michigan.  Overall, it is a relatively good
textbook.  It can be a little overkill at times for an "intro" masonry
course, but it serves well as a reference book when out in the "real"
world.  I also do highly recommend that MDG, especially if you are trying
to use/understand a particular version of the MSJC.  But, if I had to pick
between the Drysdale text and the MDG, I would have to say...it depends on
what you want out of the book.  <grin>

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI