From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Low Seismic Design Catagory

We are working on a parking garage in Seismic Catagory B.  I am a Salt
Lake native and find it hard to turn off my seismic intuition.

If I use an Ordinary Reinforced Shearwall lateral force resisting
system, do I have any need to go to Chapter 21 in ACI 318?  If I read
the definitions section correctly, there are no special detailing
provisions for my walls.

Secondly, if I use the Ordinary system, do I need to meet the diaphragm
provisions of Chapter 21?  This is a little more grey to me.  I may
chose to meet them anyway, but it is always good to have options.

Any thoughts?

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT