From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 10:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Nashville, TN area foundation help

Bill,

        I've always used hairpins as part of the load path that goes from
column to a-bolts to hairpins to slab reinforcing, with all forces
transferred by lap splices.  The slab reinforcing, of course, acts as a tie
to the column on the other side of the building.

        I guess you could leave out the hairpins if you were confident that
the bolts wouldn't break out of the side of the slab or that the slab edge
wouldn't separate from the main slab reinforcing.  But you're right; we have
always done it that way and it does work.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson